My mom made this a lot. She learned it from my sister’s grandmother; another Dominican recipe. My sister taught me how to make this one. Salted fish is one of my favorite things on the planet.
Ingredients (For Bacalao)
Sazon Spice Packets (Knorr)
Small, Yellow Onions
Green Bell Peppers
Ingredients (For Rice)
Canola or Corn Oil
Black, Pinto or Grandules (optional)
Green Olives (Goya)
White, Spanish Rice
- Boil cod fish for 30 minutes
- Prep vegetables: mash about 4 cloves of garlic, chop onions and green peppers, use varied amount of cilantro for taste
- Beat about 6 eggs
- Heat corn oil in pan. Add garlic to brown. Add codfish and 1 pack of sazon. Add onions, green bell peppers and cilantro.
- Add eggs last (make sure to keep breaking eggs apart while cooking)
- Heat corn oil in a pan. Add half of a small onion and green pepper. Let sit for about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic to brown. Add sazon.
- Add small amount of tomato sauce or paste for coloring.
- Add one can of beans
- Using bean can add 2 ½ can fulls of water
- Add 2 cups of rice when mixture is boiling (make sure to clean the rice beforehand)
- Let it boil for about 20 minutes (look for holes in the rice)
- Cover rice with a damp paper towel and cook on medium heat until rice looks dry
- Add cilantro for taste